CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Reflections from the ICU waiting Room

Yesterday morning started like a normal workday. I logged onto my computer, checked my e-mail, and then dialed into my scheduled conference call. I wrapped up the call about 10:00 and on a whim decided to check my cell phone. I had missed a call from "Hun".....the mother of my ex-boyfriend. I almost did not return her call. But on another whim, I did.

And that is when I learned that my Aunt Gail had been in a major car accident. Around 6:45 a.m. she was driving to a meeting in Tifton. It was dark, the roads were wet, and it was raining. While driving a route she knows by heart, she missed a stop sign. And was hit by an 18 wheeler.

It should be killed her - that's what the state trooper said, that's what the doctors said. But God had other plans. My Aunt was wearing her seat belt (something she does not always do) and all 6 of her car's airbags deployed. As a result, she has no head injuries. She is still banged up though. Her left arm was broken in 5 places - 2 breaks in the ulna and 3 breaks in the radius. It had to be surgically repaired last night. She has 6 broken ribs, some of which are broken in more than 1 place. But she is alive.....and that is a blessing.

Now, we wait - we wait for her to heal.....to recover....and to go home.

1 comments:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt, praying she heals quickly without any long term effects.