CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, July 10, 2006

Pre-mature Aging???

Last night, Jamie made the comment that "You'll be an old woman by the time your 30". When I asked him to elaborate, he mentioned that I tend to keep a very tight social circle - a few close friends and family members. Moreover, my free time is usually spent with a good book and cold drink - rather than out on the town. My boyfriend seems to think that this is somewhat strange behavior for a 23 soon to be 24 year old. But it's just par the course for me.

In spite of my outgoing personality and absolute love of conversation, I am really not a big people person. I count on my hands the number of people I considered "friends" - and unfortunately that are flung across the country and at time the 4 corners of the earth (KB this is you). I have always been a bit of a loner - as a child I could play for hours alone, in middle school I had one close friend, and by high school I spent more time reading than I did doing the normal "teenage things".

Now college was a bit of a departure from my solitary path. That in large part was due to K.D. - an avid social person - she often forced (coerced, or just plain drug) me along with her on our many adventures. I was quite the party girl back then. However, the constant and hectic demands of a jammed social calendar wore me down. And when I graduated college, I was ready for a change.

Fast forward to today, I live in a quite country town. My closest friend is nearly an hour and a half away. When I'm not working or traveling, I spend my time at home. Does this make me an old woman?

I don't think so. But perhaps, I need to rediscover the social butterfly within me, expand my horizons a bit, get out and meet new people. I did it once before and it gave me some of my dearest friends. Maybe lightening can strike twice.

1 comments:

GTMayhem said...

hey now... I'm not sure I really wholeheartedly agree with this comment...

"Now college was a bit of a departure from my solitary path. That in large part was due to K.D. - an avid social person - she often forced (coerced, or just plain drug) me along with her on our many adventures. I was quite the party girl back then. However, the constant and hectic demands of a jammed social calendar wore me down. And when I graduated college, I was ready for a change.

I seem to remember you a) being quite an avid social person yourself b) not having to work too hard to convince you to do something and c) you doing enough of the dragging at times. Don't say that it was all my fault. Plus, we weren't even friends for a whole year while you were there.