CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, December 30, 2007

2007

This was a year of wonderful triumphs and horrible tragedies. Some would say that every year is like that -- there are highs and they are followed by the lows. But for some unspeakable reason, the highs felt higher this time, and the lows were lower then ever before.

I triumphed when I walked across the stage to be hooded - it was the culumnation of 3 years of studying, working, researching, and editing my thesis - and I cherish that moment when I went from having 1 college degree to 2. 3 weeks later, I travled to Atlanta to say goodbye to my friend BW -- he was 41. My heart broke when I listed to his son Will (age 7) give a eulogy. Why, I wondered, where was the purpose?

In August, I closed another chapter of my life by moving out of Aunt Gail's house and into my own apartment. This was also the same month that Streamline called to tell me that our friend JB had been murdered - just 2 days before my 25th birthday. I still had a blast at my party - I wanted to cancel it, but that wouldn't have been what JB wanted- but it was bittersweet.

October, November, and December were busy months. I started Taekwondo and earned to new belt ranks. I also lossed 2 good family friends.

2007 was a year of changes and challenges. However, it has helped to make me who I am in this moment. I have learned (and in some cases) re-learned important lessons.

I have found strength in myself that I didn't know I had, and I have learned that it is okay to lean on the strength of others.

At times I had a crisis of faith - questioning why God allowed things to happen. I've come to believe that God allows man a choice....freedom. The same freedom he extends to nature. Not every bad thing is "created" by God, but when it does happen He stands ready to accept his beloved child. And now I know that my God will let me get angry, to yell at him, to kick my feet like a toddler throwing a temper tantrum. In those moments, he showers me with more love.

I have had to learn to let go - that I can control everyone and everything. And that knowledge brought freedom. The freedom to pursue my dreams and interests without worry of what others would thing.

2007 was the year that I was gifted with my nephew Trenton, cousin Cloe, niece Haleigh, and London. It was the year that I made new friends - Katie, J. Rob, Mr. M, Mr. C, Mrs. W, Marissa, Regis and the rest of the ATA crew.

I suppose, I finally understand Dickens's quote "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." I have found myself thinking, 2008 has to be better - simply because I was tired of the challenges and tragedies. Now, as I reflect, I am happy to await the new year not knowing what it holds, and knowing that if 2008 is like 2007 -- I will live each day to the fullest, laugh often,and love much -- which is all that I need.

0 comments: