CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Finding Strength In Numbers

I have always been able to exercise on my own. In college, I would often rise at 5 a.m. to head to the Student Rec Center for a long ride on the stationary bike, time on the elliptical trainer or the step machine. But I often noticed I never pushed myself as hard if I went it alone. Perhaps it is my competitive nature, if I am working out with someone - I want to do it longer, harder, faster, better. (I personally blame it on being the daughter of a football coach, but that's another post).

In recent years, I have been creative in finding ways to exercise with others. For awhile, I was workout partners with my Aunt - but injuries kept her workouts restricted. Then I joined taekwondo. After that M and I trained for a 5K run.

Now, I am the unofficial trainer for two of my closest friends. Starting this week, the 3 of us are lifting 2 days a week and doing cardio 3 days a week. Our first workout was Monday night. I spent my lunch hour Monday researching and developing a weight workout that would challenge all of us, since we are at various fitness levels. It took 45 minutes to do it and by the end we were all drenched in sweat and feeling our efforts.

Two days later and I am still sore. It is a great feeling! I am pushing myself. And I am helping people I care about. I can't wait for our next workout tonight.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really find it easier to hang at the gym if I'm with friends... although I've been pretty much on my own now for almost a year. Going to the classes is nice for the social aspect as well as the exercise, but being in the weight room gets kinda lonely.