Monday, September 15, 2008

Trip to Texas, Part VII (Thursday and the Trip Home)

Thursday was a pretty relaxed day at the Wade household. M and I worked out with his Aunt at 6 a.m. Then we returned home to dine on a breakfast of potato pancakes that his Uncle made. I was unsure about the dish until I had a bite of M's.....divine. I then had 3 of my own.

After breakfast, we started to pack up and prepare for our departure later than night. After lunch, M and I joined Leslie, Lane, and Jason for a quick shopping trip at Sam Moon. M was sweet enough to buy me a few gifts.... I am a lucky girl.

We returned to the house to finish up some laundry and to begin loading the R.V. At 6:15, M and I took his motorcycle for one last run in Texas. We went to watch his little cousin Colt's baseball team. Colt had the winning hit. After the game we met the rest of the family at the Cotton gin for dinner.

After stuffing ourselves with yummy country kitchen, the Lee family piled into the R.V. and headed back to Georgia. I feel asleep somewhere around 11 p.m. Texas time, I woke up when we crosses into Louisiana. The poor roads had the R.V. rocking and I was afraid that Lacey would tumble out of the loft she was sleeping in ( along with M and I). I was in and out of it till about 3 a.m. when we stopped for gas.

It was at that point we noticed that M's motorcycle had fallen over. The Lee men headed out to strap the bike back down. Leaving the women inside, trying not to freak out over the fact that we were in a less then desirable neighbourhood.

We got back on the road, and M and I took our shift of driving/navigating. We crossed into Mississippi about 5:15 a.m. M had me check on the bikes, which were getting loose, so another stop was made at the Mississippi welcome center. That's when the trouble hit. M left the park lights on.....the battery went dead......road side assistance did not answer......we called a tower.....and Lacey woke up.

M and I decided to walk Lacey around while we waited on the tow truck. The welcome center is right next to the river. So Lacey got to see the Mighty Mississippi in the early morning light. There was also a cannon nearby, so we let her "shoot the bad guys". Finally the tow truck arrived, jumped us off, and we were back on the road.

We arrived home about 7:30 - nearly 21 hours after we left Texas. And we were quite happy about it.

The trip was tons of fun. I can not wait till next year!!