CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Beachside Philosophy

This past weekend my job required me to spend 4 days on lovely Amelia Island. (My arm still hurts from being twisted) When the work day ended, I headed out to do some exploring. Memorial Day, found me strolling along the beach, searching for shells and pondering life.

Somewhere along the 2-mile stroll, I found myself recalling a Memorial Day 3 years prior. A day that would alter the course of my life, although I didn't know it then...... On that fateful morning I was awakened by an 8 a.m. phone call - a call that told me my Uncle, who had suffered a heart attack the previous day, had slipped away in the early hours. I don't remember much after that - aside from the numbness and the resounding thought that I needed to get to Statesboro as soon as possible. Later that day, I would back a suitcase and head to Aunt Gail's - my intentions were simple, to stay with her until her grief was lessened. One week turned into two, then a month, and finally the whole summer. By the end of it - I had fallen in love with the quiet countryside, and possibly Jamie - so I decided to move "The Boro" after completing my final year at Tech.

Fast forward 3 years, I'm embarking on the beginning of a fantastic career, living in a place that I adore, and dating a man who love more and more each day. I was lead conclusion that in the midst of grief and despair - hope, growth and joy can arise.

The ocean in front of me reflected my own personal musings. As the waves crashed onto the sand, I realized that the ocean in its greatest fury can hurt and destroy - and yet, as I added a few seashells to my pocket, I decided it can often offer the greatest beauty.


On my desk, there is sea shell - black as coal and perfect in its form - sitting on my desk. It serves as a reminder that no matter how dark the sky may turn....the sun will shine again. And that sometimes in the midst of the fury, you can find the greatest gift.

0 comments: