CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 15, 2009

Learning to Run....Again

About this time last year, I began to entertain the idea of running in a 5K. The only problem was that I didn’t run….at all. In fact, the last time I had ran was at 13 when the neighbor’s dog was chasing after m. I did think that I was good at running – I had no endurance, and it hurt. Attempts to overcome these obstacles while in college failed, so I stuck to aerobics and Tae-Kwon do for my daily dose of exercise.

But the perfectionist in me was still bothered by the fact that I was not cut out to be a runner. I detested the fact that I had “failed” at something. So after getting dumped, moving home, and finding a great new man (who is soon to be my hubby), I decided to train to run a 5K. I found the Couch to 5K training plan – and pretty soon M and I were both training to run.

I was making great strides (pun intended) in my training when disaster struck. Well, it was an inflamed knee with severe tendinitis. But it felt like a disaster as it cost me nearly a month of training and almost kept me out of my first race. However, thanks to a knee brace, a shot of steroids, and pre-race Tylenol, I completed my first 5K.

And then I stopped running. I allowed life, family, friends, work, the change of the seasons – any possible excuse come between me and my running. And for awhile I was okay with that. But now as anniversary of my first 5K looms on the horizon, I find myself wanting to run again. I think back on high I felt post-race and the plans I made to be run in many more races.

So last night, I drug M into the exercise room, and made him talk to me while I jogged on the treadmill. Right now, I am only able to run for about 3 minutes at a time. I alternated 3 minute runs with 2 minute walks from about 20 mins. It felt…no great! So much in fact, I plan on doing it again tomorrow. I think I’m going to dig out the Couch to 5K plan again, and get back on track with running. And this time nothing’s stopping me.

2 comments:

Fatinah said...

how wonderful that you're going to start running again! Can't wait to read all about it!

Linda - Operation Stick To It said...

Stopping by to fellow A Teamers to show support...I'm struggling right now but I'm hoping reading the A-Team blogs will help me out. Hope you're kicking a$$ and taking names!

"The difference between try and triumph is just a little umph!" By Marvin Phillips